Monday, February 23, 2009

First Recipe!!!

I am trying to be more domestic in the form of learning to cook. My mom always cooked for me growing up. We only ate out maybe once every couple of weeks and hardly ever ate fast food. I really want to build a library of wonderful recipes for our family so I always cut out things that sound good in magazines or online when I find them. Here is one I tried tonight that Husband and I LOVED and can't wait to try again.

Smokin' Macaroni and Cheese

1 lb. uncooked elbow pasta

2 Tbsp. butter

3 Tbsp. flour

1 cup milk

1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk

2 cups (8 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda cheese

1 (3oz.) package cream cheese, softened

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground red pepper, divided

1 (8 oz.) package chopped cooked, smoked ham

2 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed

2 Tbsp. butter, melted

1--Preheat oven to 350. Prepare pasta according to pkg directions. Transfer hot pasta to a large bowl.

2--Melt 2 tbsp butter in med saucepan over med heat. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk and evaporated milk; cook, whisking constantly 3-5 min or until thickened. Whisk in Gouda, creak cheese, salt and 1/4 tsp ground red pepper until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in chopped ham.

3--Combine pasta and Gouda mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Stir together 2 cups crushed cereal, 2 tbsp melted butter and 1/4 tsp ground red pepper; sprinkle over pasta mixture.

4--Bake at 350 for 30 min or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 min before serving.

This made a TON (for 2 people) and was delicious!!! Let me know if you try it and what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. this recipe is making my mouth water... yummy! I have to make this.. well that is when I get back to cooking again:)darling blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll make a great cook! I've got tons of recipes I'll share with you. I'm always cooking and trying new recipes. Sounds delicious! Oh...check out Racheal Ray's website! She's always got scrumptious meals and so easy to follow. Enjoy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel Ray - Chicken tortilla soup.... THE BEST! you can find it online, or just let me know and I can email it to you!

    ReplyDelete